ChromeBooks...?

Post your product reviews here.
Jay
L9: Guru

ChromeBooks...?

Postby Jay » Wed May 11, 2011 9:18 pm

I was watching Google's keynote today and they were highlighting the new ChromeBooks (least i think thats what they're gonna call them), one by Acer and one by Samsung, i believe, both using the Chrome OS. So i guess it's a hybrid ipad & netbook.

as i watched this and listened to them describe how virtually (no pun intended) all data would be app and "cloud" based. it got me to thinking about the Cloud notion, specifically the security therein. I mean, its fine for things like pics, and notes, but what about things of a more sensitive nature that you'd otherwise have stored only locally, and maybe shared on a secure LAN, or maybe an email?? Anyone have any insight here? Am I justified in my concern with regard to this??

Scott
Deal Hunter

Re: ChromeBooks...?

Postby Scott » Fri May 13, 2011 9:26 am

Jay wrote:I was watching Google's keynote today and they were highlighting the new ChromeBooks (least i think thats what they're gonna call them), one by Acer and one by Samsung, i believe, both using the Chrome OS. So i guess it's a hybrid ipad & netbook.

as i watched this and listened to them describe how virtually (no pun intended) all data would be app and "cloud" based. it got me to thinking about the Cloud notion, specifically the security therein. I mean, its fine for things like pics, and notes, but what about things of a more sensitive nature that you'd otherwise have stored only locally, and maybe shared on a secure LAN, or maybe an email?? Anyone have any insight here? Am I justified in my concern with regard to this??

It all comes down to odds - the odds of someone accessing or stealing your data on the cloud vs. someone gaining access to your home computer or stealing your laptop. Information on the cloud is encrypted, where the data stored on your local computer is probably not. The odds of someone cracking the cloud and using your personal information are much lower than having your laptop stolen, so my advice is to be careful with what you store on the cloud the same way you'd be careful with what you store on your laptop. If you want to protect yourself, look into drive encryption (such as the bit-locker that comes with Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise editions). If you do, keep in mind they don't come with a 'back door' entry method, meaning if you forget your password, your data is likely gone forever. As far as the cloud goes, read the ToS well and make sure they take the same steps to secure your data.

Return to “Product Reviews”